Registration Open for Online Microsoft Build 2020 Developer Conference
Microsoft has opened up registration for the 2020 Build conference, which is now an online virtual event amid the COVID-19 pandemic and which is refocused on its core audience, developers.
The free 48-hour event will be kicked off by CEO Satya Nadella at 8 a.m. PDT on May 19, with the web site for the event ("For developers by developers") touting key segments such as:
- Empowering Every Developer: "In this time of uncertainty, developers will play a central role in reimagining the world we live in and accelerating our path to recovery."
- Every developer is welcome: "Scott Hanselman calls on a number of his friends to explore the modern developer toolkit for every developer with GitHub, Visual Studio, Windows and much more."
- Azure for every developer: "Join Scott Guthrie to see the latest cloud innovation and learn how you can build amazing cloud solutions with Microsoft Azure."
- Build tools for the new way to work and learn: "Join Rajesh Jha to learn how you can build on the world's productivity cloud, leveraging Microsoft Teams and advanced new capabilities like Microsoft Graph and Fluid Framework, to create innovative tools for remote work and learning."
- The future of technology with Microsoft's CTO: "Kevin Scott and industry guests present the emergent trends that are on path to reshape software development and what is possible with technology inclusive of AI, large scale machine learning, and convergence of the physical and digital worlds."
Digging into more specics in a blog post yesterday (April 30), Hanselman listed:
- 48 hours of continuous learning
- There's a TON of LIVE content and everything will be recorded so if you miss something LIVE you can catch up on YOUR schedule.
- We are in your timezone
- We're bringing the experts to you -- in your time zone! We'll do sessions 3 times (spread out every 8 hours) so you can spend time with the devs and PMs that build the stuff you use every day. No need to stay up until 2am, we'll do it for you. (Don't worry, we'll take the week off after! We're doing this because we love it.)
- Enhance your learning with LIVE sessions - We'll have shorter and more LIVE sessions and then
- Those starter sessions then will have longer recorded on-demand sessions to explore after the event. It's Netfl*x for Nerds.
- Live Q&A with experts
- Be sure to register (don't be anonymous) so you can do LIVE Q&A with the folks in the know
- Community connections
- Sometimes the best track at a conference is the Hallway Track and we want you to spend time with like-minded people in a positive environment so we'll have ways for you to self-organize and step into your own space to share and learn.
- Registering for the event is your all access pass to all sessions
- If you're a teacher, we'll even have content for your student and new learners!
- 48 hour workshops with Build on Twitch
- For a change of pace and style, we'll have your favorite Live Coders doing long form workshops (1-3 hours) LIVE on Twitch.
As many other tech companies have done, Microsoft in March announced Build 2020 would be virtual because of the global health crisis, and then later indicated that may be the same format for next year's conference.
Developers can register for the event here.
About the Author
David Ramel is an editor and writer for Converge360.